The best part of making meatloaf is the next-day leftover meatloaf sandwich! I know just about everyone has their favorite meatloaf recipe. Maybe you developed it through the years, or you got it from your Nana, either way it’s going to be delicious in this sandwich.
- Bread – The bread is the the meatloaf holder, that’s it. Don’t use anything with a strong flavor that will compete with the meat. We use thick cut, plain white bread, lightly toasted
- Sauce – A simple and robust combination of ketchup and steak sauce. This sauce is strong, but not rich. Add as much, or as little as you’d like.
- Cheese – Cheddar works really well, with the meat and with the sauce.
- Lettuce and tomatoes – Add a little freshness and crunch to the sandwich with iceberg lettuce and sliced tomatoes. Meatloaf is not fancy; it’s good old-fashioned comfort food so we’ll keep the ingredients for this sandwich basic. Just make sure the lettuce is fresh and crisp and the tomato is ripe and juicy.
- Meatloaf – Use leftover meatloaf from your favorite recipe. If you don’t have one yet, give this turkey meatloaf a try. It’s moist, flavorful and won’t disappoint!
Make a hot or cold sandwich
Is this a hot sandwich or a cold sandwich? That’s up to you really. You can heat the meat in a nonstick skillet until warmed through, or pop it in the microwave for a few seconds.
Be sure to handle the slices gently so they don’t break. You can also add the cheese so it melts, or place it on the already hot slice so it warms and barely melts (that’s what we did).
You may also like these sandwich recipes:
Follow Us! Subscribe to the newsletter and follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest recipes.
- 2 tablespoons Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Steak Sauce we used A-1
- 2 slices White Bread lightly toasted
- 4 ounce Slice of Meatloaf cold or warmed through
- 2 ounces Cheddar Cheese thinly sliced (two slices)
- 1 ounce Iceberg Lettuce 1-2 leaves torn to fit the sandwich
- 2 ounces Tomatoes sliced ¼ – ½ inch thick
Make the sauce
- Combine the ketchup and the steak sauce in a small bowl or ramekin. Stir well to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use to keep it thick (if desired).
Build the sandwich
- Lightly toast the bread.
- If desired, heat the meatloaf in a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat until warmed through. Or, microwave on high 30 seconds at a time until warmed through. You can also add the cheese so it melts too, or place it on the already hot meatloaf so it warms and barely melts. Don’t overheat meat and handle carefully to avoid breaking.
- Add a slice of cheese to the bottom slice of bread.
- Add a slice of meatloaf.
- Place the remaining cheese on the meatloaf.
- Add the ketchup-steak sauce.
- Add the lettuce and tomato slices.
- Top with the remaining bread and enjoy.
Leave a Reply