In this easy and delicious recipe, Italian sausage is baked on a sheet pan with seasoned potatoes and onions. Sheet pan dinners are so convenient it’s no wonder they’re such a popular weeknight dinner option.
Italian sausage recipes are great for quick and easy dinners. The sausage brings a ton of flavor to the party so you can cut down on the number of ingredients, saving both time and money. Try this Italian sausage sandwich, baked ziti, and lentil soup for ways to use this versatile ingredient.
This site contains affiliate links to products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Sausage – Use fresh Italian sausage in its casing. Choose mild, hot or sweet sausage depending on your taste.
- Vegetables – Yellow or white onion and small red potatoes.
- Oil – Oil is used to grease the sheet pan and to season the potatoes. Use olive oil or choose your favorite.
- Herbs and spices – the potatoes get a ton of flavor from garlic powder, salt, rosemary, thyme and black pepper. For the rosemary and thyme use fresh if you have it on hand, if not dried herbs will do just fine, just cut down on the amount.
Preheat the oven to 400°F and brush a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon of oil.
Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters. Try to get them all roughly the same size so that they cook at the same rate.
Mince the rosemary and thyme if using fresh.
Cut the onion into 8 wedges.
Measure out the remaining ingredients.
Combine the potatoes, onions, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, salt, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper to a large bowl. Stir gently using a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to combine and coat the potatoes with the seasonings.
Bake the sausages and potatoes
Arrange sausages on the greased sheet pan leaving space between them for the vegetables.
Arrange the potatoes and onion mixture around the sausages.
Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Flip the sausages, return them to the oven and cook an additional 15-20 minutes or until the Italian sausage has a golden-brown color.
Test if the sausage is done with an instant read thermometer. Take the temperature of at least two links, one from the center of the pan and one from along the edge of the pan. Make sure the internal temperature is at least 160°F. If it’s not, continue baking for 5-10 minutes and test again.
Frequently asked questions
The cooking time is going to depend on the oven temperature, the size (thickness) of the sausage and how many (how close together) there are on the pan. For this recipe it took 35-40 minutes to get the sausages over 160°F and achieve a golden-brown color.
They need to be at least 160°F in the center of the thickest sausage.
Yes, cooking Italian sausage in the oven is very easy. It cuts down on grease splatters making clean up a snap. The sausages turn out juicy with a beautiful golden color.
Subscribe to the Newsletter for the latest recipes.
Check out the Web Story for this baked sausage and potatoes for a quick visual on making this delicious recipe.
Baked Italian Sausage and Potatoes
- 1 – 1¼ pound Italian Sausage in their casings (about 4-5 links) use mild, hot or sweet Italian sausage depending on taste
- 1 pound Small Red Potatoes washed, patted dry and cut in halves or quarters (about 8 small potatoes)
- 1 Medium Onion cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil divided (1 tablespoon to brush the sheet pan and 2 tablespoons for the potatoes)
- ½ teaspoon Fresh Rosemary woody stems removed and minced (or ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary)
- ½ teaspoon Fresh Thyme woody stems removed and minced (or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme)
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt we use kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- Add the cut potatoes and onions to a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, salt, rosemary, thyme and black pepper to the potatoes and onions. Stir gently using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to combine and coat with the seasonings.
- Brush a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Arrange sausages on the sheet pan.
- Arrange the potatoes and onion mixture around the sausages.
- Bake the Italian sausages for 20 minutes.
- Turn each sausage so that the paler side is now up.
- Bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the sausages are a golden-brown color.
- Test if the sausage is done with an instant read thermometer. Take the temperature of a couple of links, specifically, one in the middle of the pan and one that’s along the edge. Make sure the internal temperature is at least 160°F; if it’s not, continue cooking for 5-10 minutes and check again.