This potato broccoli bake is a delightful combination of seasoned red potatoes and fresh broccoli that are roasted then combined with cheddar cheese and crispy crumbled bacon. It’s comfort food that’s satisfying and nourishing.
The ingredients for this bake are budget friendly and healthy. Potatoes and broccoli are nutrient rich making them a wholesome addition to your diet. Whether you’re preparing a holiday meal, or a weeknight dinner this broccoli potato side dish is sure to please.
These easy, cheesy roasted potatoes and broccoli make a fantastic side dish but are also a fitting lunch or dinner. We’re big fans of broccoli and potatoes dishes. For example, this roasted broccoli is my personal favorite and it’s so simple to make. Another favorite is garlic parsley potatoes that are sure to please.
What’s great about this recipe
- It’s a tasty way to get vegetables in without getting any complaints from the family.
- It’s a budget-friendly side dish to weave into your dinner rotation.
- Spices, cheese and bacon transform ordinary ingredients into a tasty, cheesy comfort food.
- Potatoes – Small red potatoes are preferred for this recipe. However, gold potatoes and Yukon gold are also suitable. Do not use russet potatoes, because their fluffy flesh is not the right texture. But they do make great mashed potatoes and twice baked potatoes.
- Broccoli – Fresh broccoli is recommended for this recipe. Frozen broccoli may be substituted if necessary (see frequently asked questions).
- Cheese – We use cheddar cheese in this bake. I just love the broccoli cheddar combination like in this broccoli mac and cheese. Medium or sharp cheddar will work equally well, use your favorite. Other cheeses that can be substituted include Colby, American, Monterey jack, provolone, mozzarella, and gouda.
- Seasoning – The potatoes are simply seasoned with salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Oil – Use an oil that has a smoke point of at least 375°F. We use olive oil, use your favorite.
- Bacon – Cooked, crispy bacon gets added to the potato broccoli casserole at the end. If you need instructions on cooking bacon, check out our oven bacon post.
- See the recipe card for quantities and preparation.
Preheat oven 375°F
Add the cut potatoes to a baking dish (at least 1.5 quart). Add the olive oil, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir until combined and the potatoes are coated with the seasoning.
Bake the potatoes for 25 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven. Add in the broccoli and stir and toss to combine.
Bake the potatoes and broccoli for 20 minutes or until they both are tender. Remove the baking dish from the oven and stir in half the cheese and half the crumbled bacon. Stir well. Top with the remaining cheese and the remaining bacon.
Place the broccoli and potatoes back in the oven and heat for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy.
Frequently asked questions
Fresh broccoli is recommended. If you must use frozen broccoli, then cook it to package directions and drain well. Dab it with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Do not add the broccoli to the baking dish until the potatoes are fully cooked and tender. Then add the broccoli and the cheese and follow the rest of the recipe instructions.
We use cheddar cheese, but other varieties will also work well. Look for a cheese that melts smoothly like Colby, American, Monterey jack, provolone, mozzarella, and gouda.
Customize the dish by substituting and adding different seasoning. We make a simple seasoning with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning but onion powder, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and crushed red pepper are all good choices.
Store leftover potatoes and broccoli in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To freeze, cool the leftovers and place them in an airtight, freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 2 months.
Subscribe to the Newsletter for the latest recipes and more.
Potato Broccoli Bake
- 1 pound Small Red Potatoes cut in 1-1½ inch pieces (small potatoes cut in half or quarters depending on their size)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 8 ounces Broccoli Florets
- 4 ounces Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 3 Slices of Cooked Bacon chopped or crumbled
- Preheat oven 375°F
- Add the cut potatoes to a baking dish (at least 1.5 quart). Add the olive oil, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir until combined and the potatoes are coated with the seasoning.
- Bake the potatoes for 25 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven. Add in the broccoli and stir and toss to combine.
- Bake the potatoes and broccoli for 20 minutes or until they both are tender.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and stir in half the cheese and half the crumbled bacon. Stir well. Top with the remaining cheese and the remaining bacon.
- Place the broccoli and potatoes back in the oven and heat for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Try to cut the potatoes roughly the same size so that they cook at the same rate.
- The cooking time will depend on how large or small the potato pieces are and how tender you like the broccoli. Add 3-5 minutes to the cooking time before adding the cheese, if desired.
- Hand shred the cheese for a smoother texture but if you are pinched for time pre-shredded cheese is fine.