Egg salad is one of my all-time favorite lunches! Serve this easy egg salad on a tortilla or large lettuce leaf and make a wrap, with crackers, or on bread like we do here (rye if you’re wondering). However you choose to serve it, this egg salad recipe will not disappoint.
This egg salad recipe is satisfying without being super filling, so you can get on with your day without being weighed down. Since we can’t have egg salad every day (tempting as it may be), this tuna salad sandwich and chef salad are perfect to weave into your lunch rotation.
This site contains affiliate links to products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Eggs – Use large or extra large eggs.
- Mayonnaise – People have very strong feelings regarding which brand of mayo is king; I’m not getting in the middle of that one! Use your favorite brand (we used Kraft mayo here).
- Spices – We use mustard powder instead of yellow mustard in this egg salad, which is a little unconventional. I learned about this swap from my stepdad and it’s really good. The paprika, onion powder, turmeric, salt and pepper add a touch of flavor without being overpowering.
- Place the eggs in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil the eggs for 2 minutes, turn off the heat, cover the pan and let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Allow the eggs to cool. To cool the eggs quickly: drain the hot water and replace with cold water. Change the water when it gets warm and fill with cold water again. Do this 2-3 times and the eggs will be cool enough to handle. Peel the eggs.
- Cut each egg in half and remove the yolk.
- Keep the egg whites on the cutting board.
- Place the yolks in a large bowl and mash them with a fork until they become a fine crumble.
- Add the mayonnaise and the spices to the yolks.
- Mash and stir until the mixture is smooth. Cover the bowl and refrigerate while we chop the egg whites.
- Dice the egg whites. Work with one egg white at a time and cut into roughly ¼ inch strips. Then cut across the strips to make small cubes. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Add the egg whites to the yolk mixture.
- Use a rubber spatula to stir and fold the mixture until combined.
Cover the bowl and refrigerate until completely chilled. Taste the egg salad and add salt, if needed. As a reference we added just a pinch to ours.
Make ahead and storing
Making the egg salad ahead of time is recommended because it really benefits from sitting in the refrigerator letting the flavors come together and mellow as it chills. The egg salad will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
You may also like these recipes that are perfect for lunch:
Follow Us! Subscribe to the newsletter and follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest recipes.
- 6 Large Eggs hard boiled
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Paprika we use Spanish paprika – pimenton
- ¼ teaspoon Salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Onion Powder use very little – a pinch will do it
- ⅛ teaspoon Turmeric use very little – a pinch will do it
- Carefully add eggs to a medium saucepan and cover them with water. Place the pan over high heat and bring the water to a full boil.
- Boil the eggs for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and let the eggs sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and rinse the eggs with cold water.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs when they are cool enough to handle.
- Slice the eggs in half and separate the yolks from the whites.
- Place the yolks in a large bowl and mash them with a fork until they are finely crumbled.
- Place the egg whites on a cutting board.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard powder, paprika, salt, black pepper, onion powder and turmeric to the bowl with the egg yolks. Use a fork to mash and stir the mixture until smooth. Cover the bowl and refrigerate while you dice the egg whites.
- Dice the egg whites into small cubes.
- Add the diced egg whites to the yolk mixture and gently stir and fold them together until combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate until completely chilled. Taste the egg salad and add salt, if needed. As a reference we added just a pinch to ours.
OMG this was amazing thank you
Thank you, I’m happy you enjoyed it. This is one of my all time favorite things to eat!