This chicken cabbage soup is loaded with wholesome ingredients and is quick and easy to make. It’s a light yet satisfying soup that’s perfect for lunch or a light dinner.
This site contains affiliate links to products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
We can keep the cooking time for the chicken soup with cabbage to a minimum by using prepackaged broth and cooked chicken instead of starting from scratch. Use leftovers from a roasted chicken or poach chicken breasts; it’s quick and easy.
Cabbage is a great ingredient, it’s nourishing, versatile and affordable. We only need half a head of cabbage for this soup. Keep the remaining piece in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or keep it in a zip top bag with all the air removed. Use it to make this ground turkey stir fry, a cabbage sausage soup, or these yummy vegetable egg rolls.
- Oil – We use olive oil, use your favorite oil as long as it is suitable for sauteing.
- Chicken – This soup is made with cooked chicken. Use what you have on hand, remove any bone, skin, and fat.
- Produce – Onions, carrots, celery and garlic make a nice flavor base for the soup. The cabbage and potatoes make it hearty.
- Pantry – Chicken broth is the only pantry ingredient we need. Use regular, or low sodium if you are sensitive to salt.
- Spices – Salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning add extra flavor without a lot of fuss.
How to cut cabbage
- Remove the outside leaves. They are usually damaged and wilted.
- Cut the cabbage in half. Reserve one of the pieces for another use.
- Rinse the cabbage well with cold, running water. Give it a few shakes and pat dry.
- Place the cabbage half on a cutting board and remove the tough white stem by making a V shape cut. Discard the stem.
- Next, place the cabbage cut side down and cut horizontal strips about an inch wide. Now, cut across the horizontal strips. You will end up with square, bite sized pieces.
- Keep the potatoes covered with cold water after they are cut to slow down the browning process if you are not using them right away.
- Use glass nesting bowls to hold the ingredients during prep. They keep everything organized for stress-free cooking.
- Keep the peel on the red potatoes for quick and easy prep and to add some color to the cabbage soup.
- Cook the onions, carrots and celery gently in a large pot over medium heat (we use a 6 quart enameled cast iron pot) for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt, black pepper and Italian seasoning, cook 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and raise the heat to bring the broth to a boil. Then, lower the heat and simmer the soup for 10 minutes to let the flavors develop and combine.
- Add the potatoes, chopped cabbage and cooked chicken to the soup. Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and the cabbage is wilted and tender.
Taste soup and add salt, if needed. As a reference we added ½ teaspoon to ours.
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. This soup contains potatoes which don’t do well in the freezer. It is best to enjoy the leftovers within a few days. That said, to freeze the soup, place it in an airtight container and chill it in the refrigerator until cold. Remember to leave room for expansion – an inch or two should do it. Then transfer to the freezer and freeze for up to 2 months.
You may also like these easy soup recipes:
Follow Us! Subscribe to the newsletter and follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for the latest recipes.
Chicken Cabbage Soup
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion finely diced
- 2 Carrots sliced into rounds or half rounds depending on their size
- 2 Celery Ribs sliced or diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon Salt plus extra (to taste) if needed at the end
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 pound Green Cabbage core removed and chopped into bite sized pieces (about half a medium cabbage)
- 1 pound Cooked Chicken boneless, skinless and shredded or chopped
- 1 pound Small Red Potatoes washed and cut in halves or quarters depending on their size
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, but not smoking, add onions, carrots and celery. Cook the vegetables for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Next, add the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper the pot. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken broth and stir, while gently scraping any bits off the bottom of the pot. Raise the heat to high and bring the broth to a boil (it will take about 3-4 minutes).
- Once the broth is boiling, lower the heat to medium-low, cover the pot and simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, chopped cabbage and cooked chicken to the soup. If you were keeping the potatoes in water, remember to drain before adding them in.
- Raise the heat to high and bring the cabbage soup to a boil. Then, lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and the cabbage is wilted and tender.
- Keep the soup at a simmer, raise or lower the heat if necessary and stir occasionally to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.
- Taste and add salt, if needed. As a reference we added ½ teaspoon to ours.
Leave a Reply