Chicken Salad Sandwich
This easy and light chicken salad sandwich is the perfect lunch or light dinner.
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts skinless, boneless, trimmed of any fat (about 2 medium pieces)
- 2 cups Chicken Broth or enough to cover the chicken
- 2-3 Thyme Sprigs or use dried thyme if fresh is not available
- ½ teaspoon Salt plus extra if needed at the end - we used kosher salt
- ¼ cup Sliced Almonds toasted
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- ½ cup Red Seedless Grapes sliced into rounds
- Pinch Black Pepper
- 8 Slices White Bread or use your favorite, bread, rolls, etc., if desired
Poach the chicken breast
Place the chicken in a medium saucepan side by side without overlapping. Cover the chicken with chicken broth; add ½ teaspoon salt and thyme.
Start the chicken on medium-high heat and bring the broth to a simmer. Lower heat to medium-low and cover.
Simmer the chicken gently for 15-20 minutes or until the internal temperature on the thickest part, of the largest piece is at least 165°F.
Remove the chicken breast from the poaching liquid and allow it to cool. When it’s cool enough to handle cut it into thin slices.
Make the dressing and finish the salad
Add the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, honey and black pepper to a large bowl, stir to mix well.
Add the chicken, grapes, and toasted almonds to the mayonnaise dressing. Stir gently to combine and coat all of the ingredients with the dressing. Taste the chicken salad; add salt to taste, if needed.
Cover the bowl and let it chill in the refrigerator before serving. Serve on a roll, sandwich bread, lettuce, crackers, etc.
- Start this recipe by poaching the chicken breast. It will take the longest, plus the chicken needs to cool before assembling the salad. Prepare the almonds, make the dressing and slice the grapes while the chicken poaches and cools.
- The cooking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken. Use the time as a guide but check with instant read thermometer to make sure it’s fully cooked.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 1187mg | Potassium: 655mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 58IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 161mg | Iron: 3mg