Tomato and Olive Pasta
This tomato and olive pasta is really easy to make and will get you out of a pinch when you are short on time and money.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion finely diced
- 5-6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 28 ounce canned Tomatoes do not drain if you’re using whole tomatoes break them down using kitchen shears or get in there with your hands.
- ½ cup Pitted Olives sliced, we used pitted Spanish olives
- ½ teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ¼ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper plus extra for serving, if desired
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt plus 2 tablespoons for the pasta water
- 16 ounces Spaghetti cooked to package directions for al dente, or use your favorite pasta
- Chopped Parsley for garnish
Get the pasta water started
Start the tomato and olive sauce
Heat the olive oil in a large pot or deep skillet over medium heat.
When the oil is hot, but nowhere near smoking, add the onions.
Cook them gently for 5-7 minutes until they soften and start to caramelize around the edges, stirring frequently.
Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Carefully add the tomatoes to the pan and give everything a good stir.
Add the olives, oregano and crushed red pepper and stir well to combine the ingredients.
When the sauce starts to boil, lower the heat to medium-low to low, cover and cook the tomato and olive sauce for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Keep the sauce at a simmer. Lower the heat a little if it starts boiling too vigorously.
Cook the pasta
When the sauce is almost done, raise the heat on the pot of water and bring it to a boil.
Add about 2 tablespoons of salt to the water.
Drop the pasta and cook it to package directions for al dente.
Reserve about 1 cup of pasta cooking water before draining.
Taste the tomato sauce and add salt if needed. As a reference we added a little more than ¼ teaspoon to the sauce.
Combine the pasta and the tomato olive sauce in the pan. Add a few tablespoons of the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce a bit and make it easier to combine.
Garnish with a little chopped parsley, and serve with parmesan cheese and extra crushed red pepper, if desired.
Calories: 433kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 550mg | Potassium: 593mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 14.3mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 3mg